Saturday 4 October 2014

SNL - Sarah Silverman

I'll be the first one to admit, I don't really... *get* Sarah Silverman. I mean I don't have much of an opinion on her either way. Apparently she hasn't been on SNL since she was a featured player/writer 20-some odd years ago, so it's kind of a big deal that she's back.

I think it's a little too soon to be making jokes about ISIS... They're fucking horrible. And disgusting how they use social media to recruit/brainwash young people, which is what this sketch is making fun of. (Not going to get political here). Although I love Jay Pharoah's impression of Obama. And ZING now they make fun of that guy who managed to run all the way across the White House lawn and through the freaking front door. Did you hear about that? It was ridiculous.

Darrell's voice sounded louder and more announcer-y this time through the opening credits. Good for him, clearly he's been practicing!

Sarah says people consider her a 'blue' comedian which is maybe why I've never really been that fond of her? She has kind of a dude's sense of humour. But even if she's not that good, Maroon 5 is on the show tonight, so that's bound to keep me happy!
This is apparently one of her jokes... Ummmm... yeah...
And now Sarah is sitting on the laps of random audience members and getting them to compliment her after she compliments them. Which is awkward for the people in the audience, but actually kinda cute. And I like that they're actually involving the audience, rather than just cast members dressed as random people. OK this poor woman... She's been sitting on her for like 4 minutes... And I think she's now threatening to hold the stage hostage. HAHAHA they cut in footage of her from the 90s talking to the host as that aforementioned audience-plant, this is actually kind of clever. (Also the questions have absolutely nothing to do with her, or anything she's an expert in, such as dinosaurs)

Side note: how old is she??? Apparently 44. Which is insane. She looks like, 25. What the hell.

They're making fun of The Fault in Our Stars... But the girl (Sarah) has ebola and Taran meets her and is like 'ummmm no thanks bye'. And the World Health Organization rated it 'plausible'. Does SNL suddenly have rights to a bunch of popular songs? Because I never noticed them using actual songs in their faux-mercials before.
The Fault in Our Stars 2: The Ebola in Our Everything
 Sarah does a decent Joan Rivers impression... this sketch is about her getting into heaven and meeting a bunch of famous people and making fun of them. Although I must point out that if it's OK for them to do impressions of dead people now, I'm very disappointed Maya Rudolph hasn't done another Whitney Houston impression since she died - that was one of my favourites!! OH MY GOD Kyle Mooney looked so exactly like Steve Jobs it took me a minute to figure out who it was playing him. For about 2 seconds I thought it was actually Steve Jobs sitting there. AND ADAM LEVINE!! Looks nothing like Freddie Mercury, but totally sounds like him.
LOOK AT KYLE!!! Also props to Kate for making an adorable Lucille Ball.

The next bit was (surprise, surprise) set to another song - 'Hey Soul Sister' by Train - and advertising... white people? Oh hey, a cameo by former featured player/staff writer Mike O'Brien! At least he still has a job...

Once again, Keenan's character that I have no idea how to spell (Reese Dewatt? Rhys Dewet?) hosting a TV show talking about old TV shows - this one is called 'Supportive Women' and is a soap opera where all the women are nice to one another instead of being backstabbing and evil. For example, Cecily put a powder in Sarah's drink behind her back, which turns out to be an antihistamine, because 'I noticed you were getting hoarse earlier' hahaha. And later Taran says he wants to kiss Sarah and she rejects him because he's married to her best friend Aidy - who then bursts in on them and says 'I believe you' and they just smile at each other. If they made this as a spoof-soap show, I'd totally watch it.

Full confession: As much as I like them, I've never actually gotten around to listening to Maroon 5's newest song... I asked for the album for my birthday, I swear!! But hearing it for the first time live is kinda interesting. Adam doesn't usually rock back and forth that much when he's singing, does he?
Creepy Freddy approves.
I think they took all the orange from the old Weekend Update background and put it in the new opening sequence.

Colin is adorable. This is not news. I love how dry he is (also not news). But his bantering with guests has improved enormously. Oh good, they're making more fun of that White House intruder!! The Reverend Al Sharpton thinks you can get e-bola through your e-mail. And that Colin's name is Kevin. I have to say, I like the difference of Colin's offhandedness compared with how Michael always seems really amused by his jokes.
Dare I say it, the only comedian more deadpan than Colin Jost is Demetri Martin *gasps*
The rules of words people cannot say are as follows: Michael cannot say 'toodleoo' because it sounds funny and Colin can't say 'bae' because he's 30. And I also advise against saying that because this:
Seriously though, is adding the one letter to make it 'babe' really too much effort???!! It doesn't even add a syllable!!

I don't really get this next thing.. Sasheer and Sarah and Cecily are a singing group on a riverboat, and in between verses they just talk about their really depressing lives... And I can't tell if their wigs are actually purple on top, or if that's just the lights. Update: that is totally just the lights.

Taran picks up his 'sister' Sarah at the airport and she tells him she cheated on her boyfriend Jeff (Bobby) and right after that he pops up in the backseat... with an engagement ring. And the look on his face is priceless! They get stuck in traffic (which was such a cheap trick, they just froze the green-screened traffic footage behind the car). 'Unfaithful' is on the radio, naturally. BUT SERIOUSLY SNL, YOU ARE RUBBING THE SONG RIGHTS IN OUR FACES. And then her parents also pop up in the back seat. And so does Adam Levine - playing himself hahaha. But going to Pizza Hut solves everything! Yaaay!
Also, I cannot un-hear 'There wiiiiiiill... bestuffedcrust'

Infauxmercial for a stupidly expensive blender where Vanessa keeps hiding the price from Sarah while she brags about all the things the blender can do 'It makes nut butters!'

This episode was so much better than last week's. Not that I don't love Chris Pratt, because I do, but the material this week was just great! (and I swear, the presence of Adam Levine only had anything to do with about 30% of it). Someone just pointed out there was no Pete in this episode and oh my god they're right! How did that happen?? They didn't fire him already, he was in the opening credits... Sometimes when cast members have been on for a long time, they kinda disappear random weeks, but that's usually because they're working on side projects... This is odd. Hope he's OK. I didn't see him during the goodbyes either, but hold on, just saw Colin in a T-shirt *fans self* my, what nice arms he has!!

Tune in next week for BILL FREAKING HADER!!!! THERE ARE LITERALLY NO WORDS FOR HOW EXCITED I AM!! SO PLEASE ACCEPT THIS LARGE QUANTITY OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although I might be a little late with my blog post next week because I'm Canadian and it's Thanksgiving so I'm going home and will be very busy. I hope I don't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment