Saturday 11 October 2014

SNL - Bill Hader

Disclaimer: Former cast members hosting SNL is my favourite SNL-related thing. Ever. So expect a lot of fangirling this post. Sorry in advance. ON WITH THE SHOW!!! Tonight is also the exact 39-year anniversary of the premiere of SNL. Couldn't think of a better way to celebrate!!!

Bobby makes a hilarious Kim-Jong Un, talking about how athletic he is while being extremely short and telling one of his soldiers to punch him. Side note: I never noticed this, but Beck Bennett looks a lot like a young Darryl Hammond. I'm actually very curious as to where Kim-Jong Un actually has been the last few weeks. North Korea is weird.

BILL!!!!!!! He looks so skinny!! Maybe that's just the suit. And he's nervous, awww... Apparently Megan Mullalley is the one who discovered him and told Lorne to hire him - THANK YOU MEGAN!!!! We owe her so many laughs!!! KRISTEN!!!!!!!!!! She wants Bill to sing - and now I kinda do, too. "Don't make me sing!" This is not a Bill monologue! I was looking forward to a Bill monologue and it's all just Kristen singing... Oh well. I'm glad to have them both back. And then he sings and sounds like Harvey Fierstein... Who is now there too! Ohh how I love Bill's facial expressions... I wasn't at all surprised that Kristen showed up, I mean 1) they have that new movie coming out together and 2) she's everybody's favourite and 3) They are so amazing together and obviously besties.

That stache is legendary.



Herb Welch is back!!! Yaaay!! And he's interviewing Pete who's playing a highschooler who's taking a virginity pledge - and Herb thinks Taran is a mannequin. Who did they used to get to do the newsanchor for this sketch? Sudeikis? What the hell has he been up to lately? And how about Will Forte? I love that guy! Where has he been??

This next sketch is too funny - it's a mock-trailer that's a combination of all the young-adult post-apocalyptic franshises (Divergent, the Hunger Games, the Maze Runner, The Giver etc.) Bill is someone like Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games and talking in a high voice that reminds me of the Knights Who Say 'Ni' from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Pete is the main character, the 'chosen one' in this sketch - I'm so glad they're using him so much this week, he almost disappeared the last episode.
Funniest. Movie. Ever.

AND JIM CARREY IS HOSTING ON THE 25TH WHAAAAT!!!! Probably promoting the new Dumb & Dumber movie - which reminds me, I still need to watch the first one...

Kate MacKinnon does an excellent impression of Jane Lynch (although she's not nearly tall enough). Beck sound exactly like, but looks nothing like, Nick Offerman (I mean, they could have at LEAST given him blue contacts! Come on, people!) And more of Kristen!! We've reinforced what Bill said in his monologue - he only does impressions of people over 70. Al Pacino this time - who was apparently the first impression he ever did on the show.

The next fauxmercial is kinda awkward... They're making fun of those commercials where they ask for a really small amount of money to feed some people in a poor country - 'Why 39 cents??' But hey, Leslie Jones is back!

This is kind of sweet, they're showing an old sketch as tribute to Jan Hooks. Do they do this every time an ex-cast member dies? This one is really sad though, because it's her and Phil Hartman, and they're both dead now.

I've never heard of this guy Hozier before - but holy crap, that voice!!

WEEEEKENNNND UUUUPDAAAAATE!!!!! More Pete, this time as 'a hip-hop fan' explaining the new no-guns policy at the BET awards. He's so dry, too... Could give Colin a run for his money. Apparently he's 6 foot 3, 145 pounds and has a problem with wind. And he slouches. He's so cute.
He says he has bad posture because he hates himself... But look at that FACE!!!!


Billy Crystal was just accused of robbing the Yogi Berra museum! Wonder if he's going to take this! I also find it hilarious that Colin laughs at a lot of Michael's jokes, but none of his own.
I mean, he's got enough Yankees memorabilia... Right??
STEFON!!!!!!!!! YESSSS!!!!! (I totally called it, but STILL!!!!) He called Michael and Colin 'Barack and Mitt' hahaha he's cracking up, OF COURSE, I mean can you blame him?? And apparently Seth couldn't come, because he's 'at home, practicing how to sit behind a desk'.

I'd say he does a pretty good job of it.
WHAT THE HELL is that noise he just made?? I have no idea. I can't handle this. The rest of the episode could just be Stefon talking, and I would die happy. I really wish he'd interact with Colin, though - he's sitting beside Michael so they're just going back and forth. Apparently Stefon is pregnant!!! Hahaha COULD YOU IMAGINE how cute their kid would be??!!!
We need to send a huge thank-you to John Mulaney for creating Stefon (and making Bill crack up every time!!)


Now they're doing that sketch that I'd forgotten about, with the puppets where Bill's is a really scary army vet. Now with smoke coming out of the mouth!

(Commercial break) Holy crap I just realized that iPhone commercial with the two guys competing are voiced by JIMMY FALLON AND JUSTIN FREAKING TIMBERLAKE!!!

KYLE!! He hasn't done a weird-skater-guy sketch yet this season now he's hosting an 'inside SoCal' news-type show and I don't understand what's going on, but he's so cute so I don't care. Also, there are a lot of pre-recorded sketches this week.  Bill is being one of the other young dudes on the show and I don't buy it... Probably because his character is not over 70.

This Hozier guy has really strong eyebrow game.

The last sketch of the night was Aidy and Pete being adorable children who summon the Cat in the Hat (Bill) to come play with them and he knew their mother... *knew* their mother... But she's now married to Thing 2 who goes by 'Jonathing' now. (Side note, I had a cameo as Thing 2 when I helped backstage at my school's production of Seussical the Musical. True story.)
I wasn't lying.
Bill got so emotional at the goodbye, awww... and holy crap, Hozier is really tall.
My one criticism: THEY DIDN'T DO WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!!!! Although I guess too many of the people they used in that one are now gone. Sad Emily is sad.
But oh well, this was a wonderful episode and bless this show and bless all the people on it. And bless you all for reading, and bless Bill Hader for existing. (It's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, so I'm very grateful for things!) Goodnight to you all, and I'll see you on the 25th!

No comments:

Post a Comment