Saturday 15 September 2012

SNL - Seth MacFarlane/Frank Ocean

IT'S BACK!
I have loved this show for so long lol, I've even watched the older episodes, and I'm excited for the new season - especially since I'm now off at university and can stay up as late as I want on a Saturday night to watch it :P
To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to this season as much as I have in the past, so many ppl (INCLUDING MY BELOVED ANDY SAMBERG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) left after last season :/ But Seth McFarlane is hosting and I find him entertaining.. And Seth Meyers and Bill Heder are still on the show :3 So I'll keep watching for their sake haha.. And who knows, the new people may be pretty good, I really like a lot of the people they introduced last year! Taran Killam and Vanessa Bayer and Jay Pharoah and Paul whatshisname :P
I don't get this - Fred Armissen passed off his recurring role as Obama to Pharoah - I'm not complaining, Pharoah does the awkward pauses PERFECTLY - but it seems like Armissen has been demoted or something, has he overstayed his welcome? Yesh. It was a good opener - they made fun of how Romney was unrelatable to the 'average American'.
OH MY GOD I just realised - I had heard that Jason Sudeikis was leaving the show, which is part of the reason I was upset about this season, but he's STILL THERE!! And I also realised that Paul Whatshisname is gone too, after only one season... Damn, I liked him. Too bad, but it's hardly the first time a talented 'featured player' has been cut - Jenny Slate (Doorbells 'n' more!) and Casey Wilson come to mind :/ I'm just glad they kept Pharaoh, his voices are so diverse and his impressions are SPOT-ON!
I. Love. Seth. McFarlane. I know he's kind of crude sometimes, but his voices make me laugh so hard (Maybe he's Jay's impression coach!) and he's so damn cute! And damn, he can sing... About how he always is arguing with himself in various Family Guy voices XD Quite a wonderful monologue for the season premiere! :P
Next is a commercial break... And then one of those awkward sketches where they have a sexpert show and the doctor is missing and Armisen steps in and embarasses all the guests... One of those jokes that wasn't really funnny the first time and they JUST. KEPT. DOING. IT.
And a fauxmercial for the American tour of 'Clint Eastwood and Chair' hahaha I knew they'd reference that at some point! 'He also talks to other politicians, including Mayor Bloomberg!' 'Just let people eat soda!' BAHAHAHA!!
Ok I don't know how old Seth MacFarlane is, but he's gotta be pushing 40 - and yet he still passes for 20something and looks so young, especially in the next sketch where he's working with Keenan and Jason at a Lidz store and whenever something bad happens, he pushes a magical button and Bobby Moynahan comes out and dances to the Gangnam Style song XD AND THEN THE REAL GUY CAME OUT AND DANCED HAHAHAHA And there were horses.. I'm not sure why, but I rolled with it
After the next commercial break, there's a sketch where Seth Macfarlane (in a flaming pink shirt, I might add..) is teaching a  class about puppetry teaching Vanessa and Keenan and Bill (who is channeling his inner Will Arnett in the voice department, and his inner Lt. Dan Taylor in the creepy war veteran department) how to use puppets, and things are going slightly... weird... Lol it wasn't a bad sketch but not one of my faves (mostly because of the creep factor..)
OK who the hell is this Frank Ocean kid? Seth sounds about as uncomfortable saying his name as the audience is enthusiastic to see him... Apparently he sings very high and dresses very weird and is cute and makes awkward constipation faces while sitting on a stool. Well, he's no Bruno Mars... But at least he's no Sleigh Bells, either ;)
Also, I found out that Seth is 39 (well, not quite, he was born in October 1973 so he's still 38) but DAMN that guy either has really good genes or a good Botox addiction.
WEEKEND UPDATE TIME!!!!!!!
Hi Seth you adorable bastard! So glad he hasn't quit yet, I love him!!
About Chris Brown's neck tattoo of a battered woman - 'You know you've made a horrible mistake when getting a neck tattoo is the second-most terrible thing about your neck tattoo!'
And then he brought in Honey Boo-Boo and Mama (from the awks reality show Here Comes Honey-Boo-Boo) - which is weird timing because I just caught a few episodes this past week, and it is the WEIRDEST thing I've ever seen O.O and yes, 'Even though, you all speak English, the majority of your show is subtitled' haha
They brought out Seth MacFarlane as Ryan Lochte to talk about the fall TV schedule - and I'm using the word 'talk' loosely haha he sounds like he's drunk, or high, or both, or a child... Which is odd, because I saw a lot of him when watching the Olympics and he doesn't really talk like that lol... Then he gets asked about the new season of American Dad and sobers/grows up long enough to say 'Yea I heard it's great' and have other Seth throw a juice box at him lol
'A farmer in Iowa has begun powering his farm with leftover walnut shells. If you're wondering which farm that is, it's the one with no power.' I don't understand how Seth says funny things with such a straight face! And the raised eyebrows lol he's so cute!
One of the new girls comes on and pretends to be Latino talking about why it's important to vote.. Even if she can't, because she's 17 haha.
The next sketch is about some army guy (MacFarlane) who has a stutter and keeps yelling at a bunch of privates and asking if he has a stutter or not - initually he didn't but then he started to... The concept was pretty funny, but I have to admit I hate stuff related to the army, the idea of people screaming at each other and ordering each other around and standing all stiffly - it's unnatural... I also missed the tail end of the sketch because I burned some toast in my toaster oven and it set off the smoke detector, so I spent a couple minutes waving my Computer Science textbook at it -.-
There's a sketch where this talk show host 'makes over' a normal-looking guy (Seth) to look EXACTLY like the host (Keenan) lol and they listened to an 'Earth, Wind & Fire cover band called Dirt, Air, and Heat' LAWL I do appreciate a good pun :P
OH my God Seth with long hair is even more adorable - if only he had a British accent then he'd be even better! He and Nasim are on a date and they're both doing so many voices imitating themselves and other people... And random strangers are also doing the voices, except for waiter Keenan, who thinks they're weird haha AND THEN at the very end Seth did a Quagmire voice and she says 'oh come on, don't do Family Guy, we're 30!' And I was like 'UHM, NO, HE'S 38!! He's lying to you!!! Run, adorable little Iranian girl!!!' (Yes I did just IMDb her ethnicity..)
Uh-oh, Ocean boy is back, and standing this time... Haha that was kind of awkward cos Seth introduced him and turned around to face the stage but was clearly standing right where the camera was supposed to roll to haha so he turned around and looked kinda panicky then stepped sideways really fast lol... Ok Ocean apparently got off the stool to prove he was serious, now he's got more of a Drake vibe going, no more high-pitched crooning, but he still has the same constipation face on. And he smiled! When he was done singing! So I guess he's like David Archuleta then, one face while performing, very expressive and cute once the song ends.
Now we're making fun of Amish people apparently... spelling out www.woodenspoonwarehouse.com using weird character names lol
OHMYGOD I knew that was John Mayer!!! During Ocean-Boy's second song, there was this epic guitar solo and they showed the guitarist (who, I should mention, was also making constipation faces) and I thought 'Gee, that looks a lot like Jon Mayer! Nah, that's just my celebrity-crazed brain talking' lol  (actually, at first, when they showed him in profile, I thought he looked a lot like a brunette Chord Overstreet, a.k.a.Sam from Glee) but I was right!! Damn, I'm good ;P
And at the closing of the episode, Seth thanked the writers, what a guy... You know, during the Writer's Strike of '07-'08, Family Guy aired a few episodes sans Brian, Peter, Stewie, Quagmire.. Basically anyone interesting.. because Seth went on strike in solidarity with his cowriters. He can be lewd sometimes, but you gotta love him :)
I'd give this episode 7 Family Guy MacFarlane voices out of 10 because there were too many new ppl I didn't recognize, but the monologue was epic and it was a rare treat to see Seth MacFarlane's adorable face on camera so frequently within an hour and a half of TV. (But he's no Jimmy Fallon!!! Who, as an FYI, just won an Emmy today for the episode of SNL he hosted last year!! Let's have him back this year please!!)
And Joseph Gordon-Levitt is hosting next weekend. I am SO tuning in, I love that man!

No comments:

Post a Comment