Monday 12 November 2012

Bones - 'The Patriot in Purgatory'

Hey ya'll! I've heard so much hype about this episode (especially from the Twitter of series creator Hart Hanson!) and it's supposed to be very intense and moving.
Now you don't know this about me, but I LOVE history, especially war history. It fascinates me, but also makes me incredibly sad. I have a feeling this episode will do the same thing. I'm in the process of writing a posting on my other blog about the topic of Rememberance Day (or Veterans Day, in the US), I'll post a link here when it's finished.
So we've got ALL the squints together (including Clark, damn his boringness) and Cam doesn't even know why, so first they all argue, and then Finn talks some sense into all of them and they all start looking at the body (and competing over who does what).
Bones has been learning everything about basketball because she wants to encourage the interns to work as a team lol... And they need to find the identities of the people in the 'hall of hopeless cases' so Fisher assumes they've done something wrong lol and then once they all agree to work together, Bones pats them all on the butt and says 'attaboy' and they all just kinda stare at her as she leaves! I love those boys, I hope they are even funnier all together than they are seperately!
Hodgins says, and I concur, that 'this is a beautiful thing', seeing the 5 of them working together and every now and then popping up and saying 'I found one!' It's so good to see these people finally being given back their identities.
Vasiri could not find a profile that matched one of the sets of remains, and through a few random observations, they eventually learn that he was a homeless man who was beat to death 10 days after 9/11, he was injured in the attack on the Pentagon, and he fought in Desert Storm.
Then Finn asks Vasiri if it was hard for him to be working on a profile of a September 11th victim, because he shared the same religion as the men who launched the attacks. They all feel incredibly awkward and start having religion/race arguments, and Vasiri launches a very impressive monologue about how those men didn't just attack the country, they attacked his religion too. It was very moving and convincing - and then Finn says 'Thank you sir. Thank you for setting me straight.' Vasiri smiled and they continue working. And I made an 'Aww' noise - Finn is so sweet and genuine! :)
Booth eventually finds his identity, the man's name was Tim Murphy, he had a wife and son but hadn't been seen by them in 15 years. And now I start tearing up. And even more when they interview his wife, and she talks about how her husband came back from the war a changed man and suffered from extreme PTSD and could not stay indoors because he was afraid of someone attacking his house.
The boys are talking about 9/11 and then Fisher says 'OK this isn't going to work until we ignore the pachyderm' and Clark asks if he was locked up in a loony bin or a zoo (I'm also wondering if he was locked up in the same loony bin as our beloved Zach!) and then they all talk about where they were that day. I now understand why they always call Finn a kid, because he says that when the attacks happened he was being driven to the hospital by his mother because he had 'gotten in the way of my stepfather when he was beating my mama, and he stuck me with scissors. But my pain didn't seem like anything compared to the pain of that day'. He was 9 years old at the time. I was almost eight. But the saddest story of all was poor Wendell, he was staying with his aunt at the time, and her husband was a firefighter in New York - who never came home. And Michael Grant Terry deserves an Emmy, because the sadness in his voice when he said that was so real that it made me cry and want to hug someone.
DAMN I'm crying again, because Booth heard that Murphy (the homeless man they found) always stood outside the Pentagon yelling to everyone who walked past 'Walk in Moore Park!', and then Booth found a photo of him with some other soldiers whose names were Walken, Moore, and Park. The 3 of them were killed when their army barracks were bombed - and he survived. Apparently he wrote 56 letters to the army trying to get his friends awarded the Silver Star and when that didn't work, he stood outside the Pentagon shouting their names because he wanted people to remember them. And I think Sweets put it best when he said 'That's not crazy at all.' Oh my goodness, it's just so sad :(
Then when the interns try to determine who killed him, they find that there is the blood of 3 other people on his clothes - that of 3 people who had worked at the Pentagon when it was hit, and survived. Booth and Bones go to interview one of them, and she immediately recognises the photo of Murphy and says 'that's the man who rescued me! Do you know where he is so I can thank him?' and I started crying again! I need a Kleenex box...
Eventually they determine through their teamwork that Murphy was hit by debris from the plain crash, and this debris cracked his rib. When he lifted concrete off the 3 people (Angela determined over 400 pounds of concrete, which would explain the fractures in his knees), it broke the rib completely, causing it to bend inward and puncture his lung. It took him ten days to bleed to death. No one beat him. He was killed because he was honouring the memory of 3 dead soldiers, and saving the lives of 3 innocent victims.
Then they have a funeral for him, and Booth gives an incredibly touching speech, and at this point I'm thinking I can never watch this episode again, because despite the awesomeness of having the 5 interns together, it is the saddest episode of anything that I have ever seen. That is the mark of an incredible TV show, to take something so tragic like the events that had happened in Murphy's life, and then his death, and make us learn from them and relate to the characters even more - because their sadness makes them seem even more real. Especially Wendell and Finn and Vasiri. Wow. Bravo, Bones writers.
But I'm seriously hoping next week is happier (at least relatively speaking, for a show that deals with death), because I don't know if I could handle that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment